Saturday, October 18, 2008

Awesome Asynch???

This week's class met online in asynchronous environments created by students in CI 5323, Online Learning Communities. The purpose of the online meetings was to present readings assigned to the class, create an activity and discussion--asynchronously. I have enjoyed viewing the presentations and answering questions as part of the asynchronous experience. Up to this point, I have simply submitted my answers and reflections to the questions asked--and added comments to a few other student's posts.

I most enjoyed the variety of the presentations as well as the convenience of being able to participate online when convenient to my own schedule. One aspect that I have not enjoyed is the repeated checking for posts from other class members--so that I might read their responses and discuss various points. I personally don't care for the wait-time between my responses and responses from others to "discuss" comments. The time lag that the asychronous assignment presents takes patience and requires rereading my notes to be thorough in my responses to other students. I am tempted to shorten my answers just to be finished with the assigned task--so I can check this off my list. I guess, although I have read the articles well, I am finding less engagement in this asychronous assignment that in the synchronous assignment.

No comments: