Friday, October 10, 2008

Disaboom is a Bomb....

As much as I was interested in Disaboom as a possible community, I am disappointed with the type of community that has developed within some of the groups on the site. I appreciate the articles, the information about various conditions or disabilities, but I do not like the very nasty comments that seem to creep through some of the group threaded discussions. There is a sharing of too much personal information (if what is said about others can be believed), and I feel that there is a definite lack of moderation. The groups do not seem to moderate themselves very well either. I was really quite hopeful for this site as a type of community that could offer some insights and a place for students with special needs to learn about and express their thoughts in constructive ways with others that have differences. I am really bummed that Disaboom seems to have bombed-out on my first impressions. I really am somewhat fearful of entering into any discussions with anyone, rather a very peripheral participant at this point, since I don't want conflict and confrontation. I would rather maximize information sharing in a positive way. The site is waaaaay tooooo negative in some discussion areas. I like a little more positive spin on any group I join. I will still keep searching around the site and take what I can from it; maybe I will be willing at some point to participate more directly if I can find a group that seems more reasonable. I will keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! I've had a terrible experience with Disaboom. But fear not Ms. EssGee, enter GettingHired! I've signed up for my preregistration and can't wait to get my profile out there.