Friday, October 10, 2008

Is RTI a CoP.....

I have attended two events through the RTI Community of Practice that I joined on the TA Communities stie. The third event I missed. I assumed that as the other events I attended, the information would be recorded and posted from the webinar, but no. I am still trying to find if it has been posted in another area or on another site--since the second webinar was recorded and posted through air.org, a live meeting host.

As far as what we have learned in the course, I am not certain if the RTI CoP is really a CoP. It doesn't seem to meet the criteria. Although there is some history of documents recorded and materials from past webinars available, not all materials or webinars are available within the community site and links to some events are non-existent. Unfortunately, the site seems to operate as a link to lectures on the topic of RTI--but there are no discussions available for perusal or contribution on the site. Some of the webinars have threaded discussions or simple questions from participants responded to by the lecturer, but interactivity is extremely limited and controlled by the lecturer. Consistency in the mechanism that is provided for discussion seems to be lacking across the events offered to members of this "community." The community consists mainly of a list of current and past participants--but I see no evidence of any interactivity between participants.

I am trying not to judge this site too harshly as there is good information and I feel that the sharing of up-to-date information is one of the purposes that is fulfilled by this community. I am mystified, however, that an educational site that is connected to some of the governmental educational sites has missed the mark on providing the interaction component here.

No comments: